Thursday, August 21, 2008

"The Olympics remain the most compelling search for excellence that exists in sport, and maybe in life itself."


So I've come to a new appreciation of the Olympics this year thanks to modern day technology. When I was a kid the Olympics always came on when we were on vacation at my grandparents house. And no offense to them but they thought they were ahead of the times with four basic channels and one TV. So with the adults of the house we were stuck watching the Olympics 24/7 and this was not ideal for me. I was bored and wanted to watch anything but that, even the news. So with this approach I have never really made an effort to watch the Olympics, scarred for life i think is the appropriate term. Then this beautiful year comes and my eyes are opened. DVR and Internet streaming allow me to watch the events I want and still enjoy other things. When it becomes an option instead of mandatory it becomes appealing. I am loving watching world record after world record being broken and am completely in awe of these athletes! (Sorry J.Lo I don't care about your Triathlon give me Phelps!) Funny how things in life like that work. Tell me it's my only option and I will resent it and try to find anyway possible to get out of it. But give me options with no pressure and I actually begin to enjoy it. My friends were shocked when I said I don't watch the Olympics. "Unamerican" I think was the term most used. That has changed and at work right now I'm enjoying the Gold Medal Women's Soccer Match USA vs. Brazil. It's enjoyable because I can do other things and still watch....this is the day and age i was meant to be born in to truly capture the spirit of the Olympics. I've mended my ways and for the first time ever have enjoyed the Olympics!

3 comments:

jacob hurt said...

You know I've always liked the olympics. When i was a kid, i would watch the gymnastics and get inspired, so i would go outside and try to mimic it on the trampoline.... In retrospect, i wonder what my parents thought of me, a fat kid trying to act like he was the strongest kid in the world...winning the gold! lol.

Katie said...

I'm glad you've had a change of heart. I ADORE the Olympics and am going to weep when they finish.

Stephanie Martin said...

Welcome to the ultimate in the sports world. The Olympics are so much more than just the events. It is also about the emotional and inspiring stories so many of the athletes have. But most of all, it is about a world filled with so many different political and religious beliefs coming together to celebrate the talents and accomplishments of the world's elite.